Re: Some questions -- wpa_supplicant

Ryan Novosielski wrote:

Please keep replies on-list for everyone's benefit.
oops. Just did a reply, am use that on most lists this replys to the list, not to the original sender...

For this list, I have to do a reply to all, the edit the to/cc headers (using Thunderbird 1.5)
Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Ryan Novosielski wrote:

You might want to write a more specific subject next time, for
everyone's benefit. Everyone who writes to the list has "some questions."

Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Hello, I am new here.  Running 0.6.4 in Centos 5.1 on an HP nc2400
notebook with the Intel ipw3945 dkms code from rpmforge.

I just switched my operation over the this nc2400 from my old nc4010
which had an Atheros card using the madwifi dkms code from rpmforge
and I did everything via wpa_supplicant.conf (and the wpa_cli program!).

So with this install, I could not get the wpa_supplicant working. Seems like it only supports the ipw2200 card? And I found
NetworkManager; good job! So far  :)
Incorrect. It probably best supports that card, but as far as I know,
all Intel cards are supported. Really any card that has a driver
supporting Wireless Extensions.
Well I tried running:

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant -B -D ipw3945 -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

And I get Unsupported driver 'ipw3945'

So I read the man wpa_supplicant and find that I should say -D ipw and
that only ipw2200 is supported.  But I tried anyway:

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant wpa_supplicant -B -D ipw -i eth1 -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

And still got unsupported device.

No, you want wext for basically all modern cards, not ipw. Those other
drivers are really legacy holdovers, and hopefully will go away.
OH. I missed this one. Well actually I recall that how I finally even got NetworkManager working was to edit /etc/sysconfig/wpa_supplicant to have:

wpa_supplicant:DRIVERS="-Dwext"

I did not 'get' this previously!