Some questions

Hello, I am new here. Running 0.6.4 in Centos 5.1 on an HP nc2400 notebook with the Intel ipw3945 dkms code from rpmforge.

I just switched my operation over the this nc2400 from my old nc4010 which had an Atheros card using the madwifi dkms code from rpmforge and I did everything via wpa_supplicant.conf (and the wpa_cli program!).

So with this install, I could not get the wpa_supplicant working. Seems like it only supports the ipw2200 card? And I found NetworkManager; good job! So far :)

I am plowing through the archives to find answers, but this is slow! No way that I can find to download them and import them into Thunderbird for better searching. So here goes:

The nc2400 expects the OS to manage the card. There are no buttons to turn the radio on and off like on my old nc4010. Here I am on a plane with the radio on. Now I work with Boeing people (and work on 802.11 standards), so I have some inside knowledge of 802.11 and airplanes in flight, but that is not the point. The radio is eating power! I need that battery life! How can I turn off the radio. I tried iwconfig eth1 power on (to turn on power management), but the card is still happily scanning for APs, I think.

I seem to recall a way with lmsensor to turn the LEDs on and off, but I think that only tied the LEDs into the reality of the operation of the card, not impacting the card at all.

This notebook also has builtin ethernet. But shortly I will be at the IETF conference in Philly, and I want to run Firestarter with its NATing functions so I can plug another computer into the notebook to give it access through my one wireless connection. How can I get NetworkManager to leave the wired alone so Firestarter can manage it and run services like DHCP?

My home network runs WPA-PSK (yeah, I know the risks, I wrote the attack paper, but my Radius server is currently down). I frequently run into the situation where NetworkManager is not succeeding in authenticating to the AP. I have no sniffing data; I would like to see some packets, but Wireshark does not show interface eth1 (the wireless one). I end up having to reboot to get wireless working, or switch to wired.

Now I notice that my AP is on channel 1, and I am picking up "Oakland Wireless" also on channel 1. This should NOT be causing the problem (I hope), but I add the data point. Actually I would like the option to tell NetworkManager to ignore "Oakland Wireless" when I am at home, just not when I am over at the local park, come springtime. When I used wpa_supplicant.conf, I could comment out various configs (or uncomment them) and reload the conf file at least. Ah the pains of a real nice integrated gui!

I can't test anything at home until I get back on friday, but thought I would mention it now while I am venting.

Plane is decending.  Will be connected in a couple hours.