Re: NetworkManager, ASUS led

Howard Chu wrote:
> Larry Finger wrote:
>> Dan Williams wrote:

NetworkManager
>>> No, this function belongs in the kernel or in HAL.  Ideally the ASUS
bits that
>>> keep track of rfkill need to be talking to the wireless LED too, or
the bits
>>> that actually kill the wireless (right now that's callouts from HAL
if the
>>> switch isn't hardwired to the card or handled in BIOS) need to do this.
>>> NetworkManager certainly isn't going to be coding workarounds for
every laptop
>>> vendor to toggle stuff like the wireless LED.  It really needs to be
handled at
>>> a lower level than that.
>>>
>>> There's an rfkill layer in the kernel that stuff can use, and there's
also an
>>> LED framework (though I'm not sure if that's generic or specific to
only WLAN
>>> cards).  If the ASUS LED is truly a software LED, then there need to
be asus
>>> specific callouts in HAL (or the asus ACPI module should hook into
the rfkill
>>> framework and toggle it from there) to handle this, not NetworkManager.
>
> OK, that makes sense. I'm still running 2.6.22.x on my laptop but I'll
look
> into what 2.6.24 is doing.
>
>> Which flavor of wireless card is in that Acer? The b43 driver uses the
> rfkill layer to handle the
>> wireless LED. It took a bit of fiddling to get it all to work as Michael
> Buesch (the one that added
>> rfkill to b43) does not have hardware with such a LED. All the requisite
> stuff made it to mainline
>> at 2.6.24-rc5 (or so). It works with NM or with if-up on my HP laptop.
>
> My Asus M6800Ne is using the Intel 2200. Thanks for the info.
It's been a while since I was playing with Intel 2200 but I remember you
had to pass the option to modules.d

options ipw2200 led=1

I don't really know if thats gonna work with new kernels though.

Rob