Re: WPA-PSK Wireless in RHEL5 Network Manager, How?

On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 13:53 -0600, Swiftmind wrote:
> Hello.
>

> I got a laptop running Red Hat EL 5 running a 2.6.18-53.el5 kernel. It
> has the Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Wireless card which uses Ipw2200
> driver. After two long days of searching/trying I still can not get
> this laptop to connect to the company's wireless router. Network
> Manager keeps failing. The manager sees the wireless AP unit I want to
> connect too. I click on it and I get a passphase prompt. The manager
> knows the encryption os the wireless router is running WPA and has it
> already selected. But once I enter in the passphrase the manager sits
> there for about 20 secs and just returns the passpharse prompt. I am
> typing the passphrase into the login prompt in normal ascii form, its
> not in hex/encrypted. I assume this means login failed. I always get
> the passpharse prompt returned to me.
>

> I do have the wpa_suppliment installed and the ipw2200 driver is seen
> in lsmod. I guess the best first question to ask is what are the exact
> steps in getting the Network Manager to be able to "talk" to routers
> using the WPS-PSK encryption. The card does successfully connect to
> the wireless router in Windows XP, which is on another parition.

Can you give the version of NetworkManager you have installed?  I'm
assuming it's 0.6.4-6.

Just tested this on a RHEL5.1 box with kernel 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5 and
ipw3945 and wpa_supplicant, and it's a bit flaky even without
NetworkManager, but that can be either the kernel or the access point
itself (a WRT54GC).

Can you try to run wpa_supplicant like so:

/usr/sbin/wpa_supplicant -ddd -i eth1 -D wext -c /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

And grab the output?  That should help isolate whether it's something
NetworkManager or the driver or the AP or what.

How far away from the AP are you?

Dan