Re: Strange NM ath5k behavior

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 16:40 -0800, Alex Eskin wrote:
> I am having trouble getting my laptop (Thinkpad T41, FC8 with latest updates,
> atheros wifi) working with suspend to ram. The ath5k driver works with
> NetworkManager until I try to resume from suspend.
>
> In all the examples below,  the failure mode is always the same: dmesg produces
> lots
> of
>
> WEP decrypt failed (ICV)
>
> messages, and  NetworkManager shows two green lights but spins forever.
> Eventually
> it gives up and starts asking for a new WEP key.
>
> What does not work:
> a) suspend, resume, restrart NetworkManager
>
> What does not work:
> b) unload ath5k mac80211 cfg80211 modules (via
> /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules),
>     suspend, resume, modprobe ath5k, service NetworkManager restart
>
> What works sometimes:
> c) unload ath5k mac80211 cfg80211 modules (via
> /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules),
>    suspend, resume, modprobe ath5k, WAIT 5 MINUTES, service NetworkManager
> restart
>
> What works always:
> d) use system-config-network instead of NetworkManager,
> unload ath5k mac80211 cfg80211 modules (via /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules),
> suspend, resume (now network comes back automatically).
>
> Another thing which does not ever work:
> e) use system-config-network instead of NetworkManager, but do not unload the
>    modules at suspend time.
>
> Is there any way to track this down? I would file this in bugzilla if I knew
> which
> component to blame.

If you _ever_ have to unload the driver to get things to work correctly,
it's almost certainly _partly_ a driver problem.  That should never ever
have to happen.

About all you can do is to try to enable debugging in mac80211 and get
some output from the driver as to why it's not able to reassociate to
the AP.