Strange NM ath5k behavior

I am having trouble getting my laptop (Thinkpad T41, FC8 with latest updates,
atheros wifi) working with suspend to ram. The ath5k driver works with
NetworkManager until I try to resume from suspend.

In all the examples below,  the failure mode is always the same: dmesg produces
lots
of

WEP decrypt failed (ICV)

messages, and  NetworkManager shows two green lights but spins forever.
Eventually
it gives up and starts asking for a new WEP key.

What does not work:
a) suspend, resume, restrart NetworkManager

What does not work:
b) unload ath5k mac80211 cfg80211 modules (via
/etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules),
    suspend, resume, modprobe ath5k, service NetworkManager restart

What works sometimes:
c) unload ath5k mac80211 cfg80211 modules (via
/etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules),
   suspend, resume, modprobe ath5k, WAIT 5 MINUTES, service NetworkManager
restart

What works always:
d) use system-config-network instead of NetworkManager,
unload ath5k mac80211 cfg80211 modules (via /etc/pm/config.d/unload_modules),
suspend, resume (now network comes back automatically).

Another thing which does not ever work:
e) use system-config-network instead of NetworkManager, but do not unload the
   modules at suspend time.

Is there any way to track this down? I would file this in bugzilla if I knew
which
component to blame.

Best,

Alex