Re: Multiple Wireless Interfaces

On Mon, 2008-01-07 at 16:36 -0600, Harrison Metzger wrote:
> Dan,
>
> Thanks for your reply. In Fedora/sugar the mesh and wireless work
> fine. I forgot to mention that I have installed Debian and am using
> that. In general, if a computer has 2 wireless adaptors, is there a
> way to tell nm which one to use. (Or if not, in Linux, how can an
> adaptor be disabled so nm won't attempt to use it?)

Depends which version of NetworkManager you're using.  The version
distributed with the OLPC images is modified to recognize and treat the
mesh device specially.  However with stock NM, the mesh device looks
like a normal Wifi device even though it doesn't _act_ like a normal
wifi device.  You won't really be able to do mesh stuff with NM without
the OLPC version of NetworkManager, which is available in gnome.org
subversion.

The modifications to NM for OLPC are not suitable for reintegration back
into NM stable, and should be reimplemented from scratch for NM 0.7 when
multiple device support lands.

NM 0.6.x does not support multiple active devices, and the OLPC
modifications were basically a one-off to make the mesh device work
concurrently with the wifi device, which was possible because the mesh
device is sufficiently simpler than a traditional wifi device.

Many distros have the ability to make NM ignore a device; you'll have to
figure out what Debian's method is.  In Fedora and SUSE, you add the
NM_CONTROLLED=no line to your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-msh0
file.  The Debian way might be to add the interface
to /etc/network/interfaces or something.

Dan