Re: What does Network service do?

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 12:08 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 21:09 +0800, cheney tang wrote:
> Hi All,
> I develop a wireless network driver now, it seems that Network service
> is depanded on.

Do you mean the NetworkManager service specifically, or something else?
Yes, it is  NetworkManager.

> If no the service , the command ifconfig only says eth0 and lo.
>  When the service is started, the DNS is changed wrongly.
> I try to test it on Unbutu, the driver work well without Network
> service.
> I had read the FAQ, there is no what I wanted.
> Any suggestion is welcomed.

The driver should support the Linux Wireless Extensions API (kind of
like NDIS on windows), and should work correctly with wpa_supplicant's
'wext' driver.  Usually when a card doesn't work well with
NetworkManager, the driver is not correctly implementing the Wireless
Extensions API, like not correctly handling concurrent requests or the
non-ordered nature of WEXT.

Also, if the hardware you are developing for is a softmac-type part, I'd
encourage you to base it off the kernel's mac80211 stack, which will
save you a lot of work especially with WEXT.
Yes, it base on kernel's mac80211 stack.
It is very strange that the difference is from Fedora to Unbuntu. On Unbuntu
the driver can work well without NetworkManager, while on Fedora the lfconfig says
no wlan0.