Re: What does Network service do?

On Tue, 2008-02-19 at 21:09 +0800, cheney tang wrote:
> Hi All,
> I develop a wireless network driver now, it seems that Network service
> is depanded on.

Do you mean the NetworkManager service specifically, or something else?

> If no the service , the command ifconfig only says eth0 and lo.
>  When the service is started, the DNS is changed wrongly.
> I try to test it on Unbutu, the driver work well without Network
> service.
> I had read the FAQ, there is no what I wanted.
> Any suggestion is welcomed.

The driver should support the Linux Wireless Extensions API (kind of
like NDIS on windows), and should work correctly with wpa_supplicant's
'wext' driver.  Usually when a card doesn't work well with
NetworkManager, the driver is not correctly implementing the Wireless
Extensions API, like not correctly handling concurrent requests or the
non-ordered nature of WEXT.

Also, if the hardware you are developing for is a softmac-type part, I'd
encourage you to base it off the kernel's mac80211 stack, which will
save you a lot of work especially with WEXT.