Re: Network Manager Editor's "Last Used" functionality

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:20:52 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-04-03 at 23:03 -0700, Jerry Jaskierny wrote:
>> I upgraded to Ubuntu's Hardy Heron beta within the past few days.  This
>> upgraded included the Network Manager Editor -- congratulations on the
>> completion of a very useful tool!
>>
>> Upon perusal of this new tool, I found 2 fields that confused me:  the
>> Last Used fields for date and time.  I anticipate that these fields
>> would be updated automatically (by the Network Manager, not the user?)
>> to the last time a person logged on to (or logged off) that network.
>> But I see users have the ability to set these fields with a button
>> labelled "Calendar" for the date and a drop-down type list for times.
>>
>> I see no documentation for this functionality on the Network Manager
>> website[1], nothing in the applications "Help" section, nor a mention
>> of it in the Network Manager mailing list archive. Is my idea of how
>> this functionality works correct?  If so, what benefitted utility does
>> the user gain from these?  If not, can someone explain the
>> functionality of these items for which they were designed?
>
> I think the original writers of the tool were just exposing everything
> in GConf :)  I think you're right, there really isn't a good use-case
> for exposing that control.  If there aren't reasonable, strenuous
> objections, I'll remove it for the next release.

I'd find it handy if the list on the left-hand side of the window
contained the last-used time alonside the SSID. That way the list could
be sorted by SSID or by last-used time. It could even be displayed in
human-readable format ("yesterday", "one week ago", "six months ago",
etc.)

--
Sam Morris
http://robots.org.uk/

PGP key id 1024D/5EA01078
3412 EA18 1277 354B 991B  C869 B219 7FDB 5EA0 1078