Network Manager Editor's "Last Used" functionality

I upgraded to Ubuntu's Hardy Heron beta within the past few
days.  This upgraded included the Network Manager Editor --
congratulations on the completion of a very useful tool!

Upon perusal of this new tool, I found 2 fields that confused
me:  the Last Used fields for date and time.  I anticipate
that these fields would be updated automatically (by the Network
Manager, not the user?) to the last time a person logged on to
(or logged off) that network.  But I see users have the ability
to set these fields with a button labelled "Calendar" for the
date and a drop-down type list for times.

I see no documentation for this functionality on the Network
Manager website[1], nothing in the applications "Help" section,
nor a mention of it in the Network Manager mailing list archive.
Is my idea of how this functionality works correct?  If so, what
benefitted utility does the user gain from these?  If not, can
someone explain the functionality of these items for which they
were designed?

[1] http://www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/

--
Jerry Jaskierny