Re: static address status

On 10/19/07, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 14:41 -0400, jacob berkman wrote:
> > i was wondering what the current status of static address
> > configuration was.  there is an "IP addresses" tab in
> > nm-connection-editor, is that for this, or something slightly
> > different?  is it close to being done, or is there only some ui with
> > not much backend work?
>
> Tambet is about to land patches that make NM itself respect static IP;
> maybe coordinate with him?

I just committed it. We ended up with a bit different structure than
what's in http://live.gnome.org/NetworkManagerConfigurationSpecification
(Dan: hint! hint!). There's no 'ipv4-address-X' settings and 'ipv4'
has the format:

manual : bool
dns : array/uint32
dns-search : array/string
addresses : array/array/uint32

Addresses is an array containing a tuple per IP address where the
first item is address, second is netmask and an optional third member
containing the gateway. Here's an example:

addresses : [ (1, 2, 3), (4, 5) ]

Which translates to:

address1: 1
netmask1: 2
gateway1: 3

address2: 4
netmask2: 5
(no gateway)

> > where would be a good place to start for working on this?

Dan already answered that, I'd just like to add that it's going to
suck to store the addresses to gconf - gconf supports only collections
of basic types, so arrays of arrays wouldn't work.

Tambet