Re: static address status

On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 14:41 -0400, jacob berkman wrote:
> hello,
>
> i was wondering what the current status of static address
> configuration was.  there is an "IP addresses" tab in
> nm-connection-editor, is that for this, or something slightly
> different?  is it close to being done, or is there only some ui with
> not much backend work?

Tambet is about to land patches that make NM itself respect static IP;
maybe coordinate with him?

Then the UI bits do need to be hooked up, and the connection editor does
need some love, if you'd like to start filling in the pieces, that would
be great!

For starters, each actual connection should be represented by an
NMConnection object found in in libnm-util in NetworkManager, the
headers for which are installed
as /usr/include/NetworkManager/nm-connection.h
and /usr/include/NetworkManager/nm-setting.h.  Basically, the UI fields
in the connection editor need to populate the right field in the
NMSetting structure for which that tab corresponds.

Once you've populated the NMConnection, you can use the internal
gconf-helpers.c in the nm-applet sources (it's split out in a library
quite easily so it can be linked into the connection editor) and call
the nm_gconf_write_connection() function with a GConf path and it'll
write the connection to GConf.  You can read the connection in with
nm_gconf_read_connection() and then populate the UI fields from that.

For the wireless security stuff, I just did a bunch of widgets in the
src/wireless-security/ directory in the applet that are suitable for the
connection editor.  src/wireless-dialog.c is a good example of how to
use them.

Dan