Re: Request for ergonomy feature

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 12:31 -0300, Joel Goguen wrote:
> I have a need for it, and I imagine it's a common one.  I have a
> wireless network at home, and I put the laptop to sleep and head to my
> university.  When I get there, I have to wait sometimes minutes for
> the list to refresh and my campus network to appear so NM can attempt
> to connect to it.  Or I can open a terminal and manually restart NM,
> but that's not something a common user should be expected to do IMO.
> When I first get to campus I still see all the networks I can see from
> my house, even though none of them are anywhere near the campus.
> After a few minutes of waiting, during which I'm checking the applet
> list at least once every 30 seconds, the list finally refreshes and NM
> connects to my campus network.  This doesn't seem very user-friendly
> to me.

This is likely a distro or driver problem.  When NM is told to go to
sleep (whcih your setup may not be doing), it will blow away _all_
network state.  That means, when NM wakes up (if told to wake up
correctly), it won't know about _any_ networks.  It will rescan
immediately.  If it's getting stale networks when you turn it back on,
that's clearly a sleep/wake bug, or a driver bug.

dan