Re: blocking bug for laptop users ( rfkill on dell laptop )

On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 07:58 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-05-26 at 06:34 +0000, yelo_3 wrote:
> > > That's only 1/2 the problem.  It's kind of pointless to fix the bug
> > > you're referring to before we have real rfkill support, since right  now
> > > the only time the applet cares about the status is during
> > > suspend/resume, really.  When the rfkill stuff works, this applet bug
> > > will be quite a bit more relevant to every-day use.
> > >
> > > Dan
> >
> > it is relevant because laptop hotkeys scripts might call this function.
> >
> > Anyway, ok we will wait for the rfkill stuff to work. I didn't understand one thing: when this support will be added, and I will press the hotkey, will NM automatically set its status correctly? or should I call a function to update it?
>
> HAL just got rfkill support in HAL 0.5.9.  That means we can finally get
> NM to use use it.  NM will automatically monitor the status of the
> rfkill keys (via HAL) and enable/disable the device automatically.
> There shouldn't be a need for external scripts of any kind.
If i use a pcmcia or a usb wireless card, plugging the same adds
wireless option and unplugging the cards removes the wireless option.

With rfkill switch on my dell d620 set to enable removes wireless card
from hal listing but not from /sys/class/net/wlan0 .

I assume this is the first half of the problem - handling hal
notification .