Re: Reconnect problems with 0.6.5

On Thu, 2007-05-10 at 15:24 -0400, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-05-08 at 17:12 -0400, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> > I have no idea what this is related to yet.  I run a prism54 mini-pci
> > card that since this last rawhide update ( NetworkManager 0.6.5 ) can
> > only handle the initial connection.  If I manually attempt to choose
> > another wireless network it just spins and spins until it asks for a key
> > ( that it already knows ), then spins until it completely times out.
> >
> > I tracked down the problem and found it to be that on reconnect the
> > wireless interface was never being brought back up.  So simply running
> > the command ip link set eth1 up, allowed the wireless to reconnect and
> > all was happy.  So this means that in
> > nm_device_activate_stage2_device_config () nm_device_is_up is failing to
> > report back correctly.  With some debug output later sure enough, even
> > though link was showing down from ip link show, NetworkManager was
> > reporting that link was up.  I find this strange because both methods
> > use virtually identical code.
> >
> > Some more debugging later and I added a sleep for a bit if
> > nm_device_is_up reports true, so I could check things by hand while
> > NetworkManager was deadlocked.  The problem disappeared.  I dropped the
> > sleep time down to 1 and the problem was still not there.
> >
> > Any ideas?  I can clean up my debug output and send it in if you think
> > it will help.  Not sure if this is related to any of the other reconnect
> > problems either.
> >

> I did a clean Fedora 7 Test 4 last and once again had the wireless
> reconnect problems.  Interesting enough I was now getting random
> disconnects and timeouts as well.  I recompiled NetworkManager with my
> stupid sleep patch again and everything has been fine.  I have cleaned
> up logs now, where you can actually see the NETDEV kernel message in the
> logs when NetworkManager hits my sleep statement.  Definitely seems to
> be a timing problem, don't know if it is in the prism54 driver or
> NetworkManager yet.

Is this with the fullmac card or a softmac-based card?  fullmac-based
cards can actually use the softmac driver with newer firmware I think,
but the problem with p54 (the softmac one) is that it's not quite ready
yet since it's based on the mac80211 stack.

I'll take a look, thanks.  Could you file them in bugzilla if you get a
chance?

Dan