dialup weirdness

Hi all,
I'm using network-manager packaged on a fresh installed
ubuntu feisty 7.04 and everything works fine,
except for my dial-up connection: I'm able to establish a connection
by my bluetooth smartphone launching several dial-up tools and
even from command line (ifup myprovider), moreover, I'm able
to do the same by the Dial up Connection menu within the nm-applet
which correctly brings up ppp0 but the applet remains in the "no
network connections" state so many apps (epiphany/gaim...) think
that there's no internet connection and refuse to get connected...

Thank you in advance for your time guys!
Roberto