Re: Why eth1 and not eth0 ?

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007, Dan Williams wrote:

On Thu, 2007-01-25 at 00:07 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
On Wednesday 24 January 2007 01:33, Dan Williams wrote:

As a matter of interest, why has my NetworkManager
started using eth1 in place of eth0, which it used to use?

And that's the point; NM means you don't _need_ to care what the device
name is.  Really, you shouldn't ever need to look at it, nor care what
it's value is.  I don't tie my devices to MAC addresses, and they switch
around every now and again, but it doesn't matter to me as they always
do the right thing under NetworkManager.

As the OP, I don't really mind whether NM (or udev) finds eth0 or eth1.
I just wondered why one or the other changed.

Before I went over to NM, the choice between eth0 and eth1
depended on the entries in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth?
If there was only an ifcfg-eth0 then only eth0 would be used.

As far as I can see NM doesn't look at these files.
I see that my /etc/modprobe.conf contains the lines
alias eth0 orinoco_cs
alias eth1 orinoco_cs
I'm pretty sure I didn't add them - did NM?

No; that's likely the installer or your distros network config tool.  I
believe that system-config-network on Fedora does add stuff to
modprobe.conf to try to ensure that the NIC always gets the same device
name.

And it was buggy at one point. If you are using Fedora, make sure you have the latest initscripts (initscripts-8.45.7-1 is current for FC6). You might also want to delete all devices in sysem-config-network and /etc/modprobe.conf (after updating initscripts), reboot, and let the devices be detected again.

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu