Re: Why eth1 and not eth0 ?

On Tuesday 23 January 2007 19:53, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 January 2007 23:31, Derek Broughton wrote:
> > > As a matter of interest, why has my NetworkManager
> > > started using eth1 in place of eth0, which it used to use?
> >
> > Probably you are using a different card...
>
> Same card. Sorry
>
> > > Is there anywhere I can specify which device I want to use?
> >
> > If so, check /etc/iftab
>
> [tim martha ~]$ less /etc/iftab
> /etc/iftab: No such file or directory

In which case, investigate whether iftab is available under your distro - it's
used in Ubuntu to tie a MAC address to a specific interface. As Dan said,
udev can assign the interface numbers apparently randomly (my eth0 & eth1
frequently exchange positions, but my network configuration is set up so as
not to care).
--
derek