Re: questions re WEP keys

On 1/24/07, Gene Heskett <gene heskett verizon net> wrote:
The question now is, is this mornings results repeatable? No.  It still
asks kwalletmanager, and when I close that it opens a requestor for the
passphase which I change to be the hex key, than cat the keys-wlan0 file
and paste the first key into the box and click connect.

Not to sound harsh but it sounds like you are causing your own
problems....  If you would fix your problems with the KDE Wallet it
would store your passphrases for you and you wouldn't have to do
anything except unlock the wallet.

If KDE Wallet was working properly I am told that it operates just
like the gnome keyring once it connects it asks you for the wallet
password to unlock the wallet.  Once you do that it extracts the
proper key (If you have multiple networks the wallet will store all
your keys for you and all you need to do is unlock it) and connects
you.   The KDE wallet is used so that your WEP key is stored
encrypted.

Since I have never used Knetworkmanager I might be wrong but it was my
impression that this was how it worked.

Then it works.

The next question after that one, for when I get a enable key for dd-wrt,
is how much trouble is it to convert WEP to WAP(2), which I'm told is
considerably more secure?  My neighborhood seems to be sprouting 802-11g
circuits recently & I just as soon not be sharing a connection if I can
help it.

Assuming that your wireless card supports Wireless Extensions and has
WPA support then it should work exactly like WEP.   A word of warning,
the bcm43xx drivers were very unstable until recently so they may not
work properly for you with WPA unless FC5 has kept up to date.