Re: Small guestion: retrying

On 1/23/07, Xamindar <junkxamindar gmail com> wrote:
Dan Williams wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 01:54 -0800, Xamindar wrote:
>
>> Is there any way to have NetworkManager retry to connect to a wireless
>> network upon failing? I find I have to keep telling it to try to connect
>> to a network that has a low signal and eventually I will be able to get
>> an IP. It would be nice to be able to tell it to try 5 times and then
>> give up for example.
>>

> Are you at the margins of the network?  Eventually NM will probably just
> not list or even attempt to connect to networks with too low SNRs if
> using DHCP.  In these cases, you'll need to have static IP set up.
>
> Perhaps we should make NM do a retry, but that's a loosing battle.
> People will always ask for more retries.  The solution is get a better
> antenna, or move closer to the network.
>
> Dan

I am at the margins of the network I think. In most cases I am not able
to move any closer. I am also not able to get a better antenna because
it is internal on my laptop. Is static IP setup planned for the future?
That would be useful. One thing I was thinking is that dhcpcd gives up
too soon. Is there a way to extend the time?
Thanks.

If you are willing to build NM from source you can modify it in
src/dhcp-manager/nm-dhcp-manager.c

#define NM_DHCP_TIMEOUT		45	/* DHCP timeout, in seconds */

You probably also want to increase your association in
src/nm-device-802-11-wireless.c

#define NM_SUPPLICANT_TIMEOUT	20	/* how long we wait for
wpa_supplicant to associate (in seconds) */

However this doesn't solve the root problem and if you don't have the
ability to move the AP or your laptop have you considered using
different antenna's on the AP or increasing the power level?   Making
the changes I listed above /might/ allow you to associate but you will
drop A LOT and you will probably find it more frustrating than useful.

Just to make sure, you don't have an Atheros card do you?