Re: NetworkManager doesn't show all APs

Dan Williams wrote:
On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 12:05 -0800, Xamindar wrote:
I don't know if this is a "feature" or not but NetworkManager never shows multiple APs of the same name for me. There should be 3 in range where I am but it only shows one. I often have problems connecting to this network under linux probably because it is trying to associate to one of the ones barely in range. I also posted about it not showing multiple linksys networks a while back but didn't get much response about it. Is this planned to be fixed or is it how it is going to stay?

Yes, we'll separate out networks based on things like:

1) Mode: adhoc vs infrastructure
2) Band: a vs. b/g
3) Encryption (maybe): WEP vs none vs WPA
Seperating by whether an AP has encryption or not would be very nice as at the moment if there is an access point with encryption and another without but both have the same essid, NetworkManager only shows the encrypted one with no option to connect to the non-encrypted one. Very annoying.
But we're still going to aggregate SSIDs that have the same
characteristics in the menu.  So if you have a few networks around that
all have the SSID 'linksys', and they are all unencrypted, they will be
coalesced into one item in the menu.
Aww that's too bad. My Zaurus connects in a similar way by associating to whatever ap it happens to randomly choose with the essid I specify (it doesn't scan for networks or show a list). I had learned to just give up on connecting in certain areas (ie appartment complex, or middle of San Francisco). Once I got a laptop with whatever wireless tools are in Windows, dell I guess, I saw how useful showing every AP could be. No more connecting and praying for it to connect successfully. Is there no changing your mind?
 We may add the ability to only
associate with a set of BSSIDs in 0.7 with the new config stuff, but
that certainly won't be default and you'll have to manually configure
it.

At least in the gnome applet, we're not going to break out every BSSID
and show each one item by item in the menu, that's just madness.
Is there a different applet to use? Only the kde and gnome one or are there others?
The other thing I'd like to do for 0.7 if there's time is to allow full
access to every network from the dbus API and rely on the client-side
GUI applets to coalesce networks appropriately.
That sounds very useful.
Cheers,
Dan

Thanks for all your work on this application. Without it networking on Linux would be a lot more tedious.