NM does not list WPA as option when using hostap driver

Hi,

Last night I did a fresh install of Kubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) on a
IBM thinkpad A30.  It contains a prism 2.5 chip.  I installed
hostap-utils, and knetworkmanager.  I have a wpa2 access point at
home.

I launch knetworkmanager, and click on my AP, the "Encryption" drop
down does not contain "WPA".  If I instead use "connect to other
wireless network", I CAN select "WPA Personal" and type in my ESSID
and connect successfully.

I've been googling, and searched the archives.  There is one thread
very similar to my issue
http://www.mail-archive.com/networkmanager-list gnome org/msg03192.html,
but without a solution posted.

questions:

1) Why do I not get WPA in the encryption dropdown when selecting from
one of the "found" networks?

2) How do I get WPA to be in the list?

3) If I have to use "other" networks, is there a way to save the
profile, so I don't need to retype my ESSID and Passphrase each time
connect.

4) Is there a way to make networkmanger start on boot, and connect to
a specific network?

Thanks
Jay