Re: FC6 ipw2200 PEAP issues

On 1/1/07, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
802.1x/WPA[2] Enterprise access points don't necessarily send the
"encrypted" bit in their beacons.  Does your access point have a padlock
icon next to it in the  menu?  If not, when you click on it in the menu,
NM assumes it's unencrypted.  You can't detect WPA-EAP from an AP
beacon, therefore NM doesn't know what to use if you just click on it.
NM could be better here though and detect what some of the settings are
from the beacon Information Elements and ask you for a key and settings.

I'm not sure I understand why NM doesn't know what to use.  Brian, is seeing this problem for networks he has previously connected to.  (so am I) Shouldn't the information be cached by NM once it has connected successfully?

I see the problem after I plug in my Ethernet cable and then unplug it at a later time.  If I start NM without the cable plugged in it will find and connect to the wireless network just fine.  However if I try and switch from the wired connection to the wireless one I see the behavior Brian describes.

Russell