Re: FC6 ipw2200 PEAP issues

On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 10:16 -0500, Brian Long wrote:
> Hello,
> I am trying to get FC6 on an IBM T42p with an Intel ipw2200 card
> working reliably with PEAP.  When I choose "Connect to Other Wireless
> Network" and input my choices (PEAP, TKIP, username, password), NM
> saves my information in Gconf (including my EAP password in
> plaintext!), but it stops at Stage 2 and fails.  If I click "Wired
> Network" and then click my SSID, it does not use the proper key_mgmt
> which I previously specified.  It sets key_mgmt to NONE.  If I click
> "Wired Network" and then click my SSID, it prompts me for the
> information again and authenticates properly.
>
> If I reboot, I start from scratch.  My SSID is listed in nm-applet,
> but it still uses key_mgmt NONE instead of the proper settings.  I can
> cut-n-paste wrong and right snippets from /var/log/messages if that's
> interesting.  Why is nm-applet having such a hard time passing
> wpa_supplicant the right values when they're in GConf already?  It
> seems to vacilate between key_mgmt NONE and WPA-EAP.

802.1x/WPA[2] Enterprise access points don't necessarily send the
"encrypted" bit in their beacons.  Does your access point have a padlock
icon next to it in the  menu?  If not, when you click on it in the menu,
NM assumes it's unencrypted.  You can't detect WPA-EAP from an AP
beacon, therefore NM doesn't know what to use if you just click on it.
NM could be better here though and detect what some of the settings are
from the beacon Information Elements and ask you for a key and settings.

Dan