Re: ksplash freezes when service network-manager is running

On Mon, 2007-12-24 at 01:02 +0100, George Ruinelli wrote:
> When the service "network-manager" is running, KDE is not able to start.
> It hangs in the ksplash screen, when it initialize the services: "setting up
> interprocess communication".
>
> When I start the service "network-manager" after KDE is startet, it works
> really great!
>
> Where could be the Problem?
> And how can I isolate the problem?
> Is there a log file i can study?

Does the IPC try to resolve something using DNS?  If so, you don't
necessarily have a network available so it whatever that service is
shouldn't be trying to resolve hostnames unless there's really a network
around.  Try letting it sit for 30s or so, which is the default timeout
for gethostbyname().