Re: device control/sharing

On Sun, 2007-12-23 at 22:30 -0800, Steve Morgan wrote:
> Is there a way to disable NetworkManager from using eth0.  I need to
> share my wireless connection to eth0 and whenever I plug in a cable to
> eth0, NetworkManager wants to drop wlan0 and configure eth0 as the
> default device. Does the SVN releases have multiple device control
> with static settings? If this was the case I could use iptables to

SVN doesn't yet have multiple active device support.  Some distributions
allow you to hide a device from NM 0.6.x, in Fedora & SUSE it's adding
NM_CONTROLLED=no to your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethX file.
In ubuntu I think you add the interface to your /etc/network/interfaces
file.

>  configure my NAT and problem solved. Is the something I will be able
> to achieve or should I just configure each device manually and drop
> NetworkManager? (which is hard to do because this is a setup for a
> friends laptop that does not have any linux knowledge and needs to
> share his wireless access through eth0 so he can use his xbox live in
> another room in his house)
>
> Running Fedora 8.

This'll be a bit complicated right now with NM 0.7.x in F8.  You're
probably best to turn of NM for now.