Re: Fedora 8 and PEAP

Ack, I just realized the mailing list doesn't mangle headers.

Sorry for the repost, Dan.

On Dec 3, 2007 11:41 AM, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> Make sure you're using the latest NM that just got pushed out yesterday
> (?) first.  Second, what's the wpa_supplicant config file that allows
> you to get connected?  There isn't an option for the peaplabel=
> parameter yet, because it's unclear how many people need that at the
> moment.  You may wish to try toggling the peapver= parameter too.
> Basically, if you can get a working wpa_supplicant config file, then we
> have a great change of figuring out whether it's an NM isuse (not
> setting the right config bits in wpa_supplicant), or whether the drivers
> just suck too much (also a possibility given the immaturity of mac80211
> if that's what you're using).

I'm not actually sure where to begin.  I've never had to connect to
this network with anything but NetworkManager, so I never made a
wpa_supplicant config.  Does having one force NetworkManager to use
it?

The drivers are the iwl3945 drivers.  It's a Gateway laptop, but i
think it's the same chip that the thinkpads, which alot of fedora devs
have, also have.  If not, i've had to deal with the same bugs and
issues.

I'm going to boot into F8, and fiddle around a bit.

UPDATE:  I've noticed the dialog in 0.7 is different than in 0.6.x.
the old version provides TLS and PEAP as authentication methods, but
0.7 only offers TLS.  It also offers leap, but my school's network
won't accept it.  Where did that option for PEAP go?

I also noted that i didn't need any anonymous identities or
certificates to connect in 0.6.x, but that seems to be required under
TLS for 0.7.  I'm not an expert in these security handshaking deals,
I've actually taken way too much advantage of NetworkManager to hide
these complexities from me, (which it has done a very awesome job of.
Everyone complains about how hard it is to connect, and how they have
to run all this crap in Wintendo to make it work, and then I show them
how NetworkManager Just Works (TM).)

-Yaakov