Re: RFC 4833 / TimeZone by DHCP

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 16:07 +0200, Tambet Ingo wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2007 11:06 AM, Dominique Leuenberger
> <Dominique Leuenberger tmf-group com> wrote:
> > As an international traveling user (mostly inside our company) I would like very much to have the ability to have an accurate, local time on my system wherever I am.
> > RFC 4833 aims directly at this and allows network administrators to push out via DHCP the current time zone (which can easily configured).
> >
> > Would it be possible to implement this into our NM?
>
> NM just gained the ability to support static routes from DHCP
> (http://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2007-November/msg00173.html),
> if anyone's interested in adding time zone support, using that patch
> as a template should make it pretty easy. The only tricky part may be
> the actual setting of the time zone in such a way that it would work
> on all distros.

Although, I don't want to stuff every option for things like this into
NM.  Since obsoleting dhcdbd, what I'd like to see is this:

a) NM exports a D-Bus interface (the most likely object for this is the
Connection that just got activated) that allows things to query the DHCP
information.  This interface sends out signals when the DHCP information
is cleared/updated/etc

b) NetworkManagerDispatcher listens for these signals and executes
scripts to do things with them, or something like that.

I think it makes sense for static routes and such things to be handled
by NM, but we quickly start getting to things that I don't think
_should_ be handled by NM itself.