Re: Some comments/questions about 0.7 [was: status of 0.7]

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 09:13 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Dan Williams schrieb:
> > On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 01:19 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> >
> >> 2.) dep on dhclient with extended options:
> >> dhcdbd is dead, NM now controls dhclient directly, where it passes the
> >> -x flag to dhclient. This is a Fedora specific patch to support that
> >> that option.
> >> My question now is, if NM can also work with a vanilla dhcp3-client or
> >> if this patch is mandatory. How do other distros than Fedora handle
> >> this, do they all have this patch against dhcp3?
> >
> > I'm somewhat fuzzy on the details, and the patch doesn't spell out
> > exactly what env vars are added to the environment.  But at a minimum,
> > NM needs to know the DHCP client state, the DHCP client PID (not the PID
> > of the script, but of the actual client), the dhcp client options, and
> > the interface for which the event occurred.
> >
> > If the normal dhcp3-client can provide those, great, we can drop the req
> > on -x.  But I'm not sure it actually does.
> >
> > Currently, anyone who uses NM patches dhcp and adds the hunk
> > to /sbin/dhclient-script (or whatever the script is that their distro
> > uses).  Upstream has kindly renounced use of the "-x" option which they
> > recently tried to use.
> >
> > Also, if anyone wants to add compile-time (or CLI switch) support for
> > other DHCP clients I'm quite open to that.  The same format should more
> > or less work for other clients as long as they can deliver the
> > information in the same manner, as a D-Bus signal containing a dict of
> > String->Variant/Byte Array elements, containing the options.  If other
> > clients don't use the same state values, I'm open to changing those to
> > something more generally applicable.
>

> Thanks for the info.
>
> In Debian we used to patch dhcdbd (include/dhcdbd.h) and set
> #define DHCLIENT_EXTENDED_OPTION_ENVIRONMENT 0
> and it seemed to work fine so far.
>
> I'll investigate if the same can be done for NM 0.7 . Otherwise i'll try
> to convince the dhcp3 maintainer in Debian to include
> dhcp-3.0.5-extended-new-option-info.patch from the fedora package.

I've commented out the bits passing -x to dhclient since in my
experimentation it works OK without it for now.  If we run into the need
for it, we can re-add it.  I'll poke around and see if I can figure out
what it actually does.  Please test with your unpatched dhcp3-client and
see if it's ok.

r2681

Dan