Re: NM does not work with iwl4965 device

Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:

I've been experimenting a bit tonight and this is what I've found.

AP_SCAN 2 : ESSID is set on the wireless device, but it never associates. Presumably because it cannot find the AP.

AP_SCAN 1: ESSID does NOT get set on the wireless device, so does not work alone - during the device setup phase, if you issue an "iwconfig wlan0 essid whatever", the device will associate fine.

So I made a patch to incorporate the two and to prove a point. :)

Please note, that this patch is intended to prove that the association to hidden IS possible, even with ipw4965 devices. The patch changes the AP_SCAN value for hidden networks and I have no clue as to what that will do for other wireless devices. Also, since I've not gotten acquainted to very much of the NetworkManager code, there might be better places to put some of these things. So it should at the very least be reviewed by someone more familiar with the code than myself. (there - the disclaimer is double the size of the patch itself ;-p)

Try it out and let me know how it works for you.

My testing was performed on Fedora 7 - 0.6.5 version of NetworkManager. Obviously 0.6.5 is also the version that this patch is most likely to apply to.

Good luck. Patch below!

/Thomas

Peter opened a bug on this problem - Gnome BUG #464215

/Thomas