Re: NM does not work with iwl4965 device

On 8/5/07, Thomas M Steenholdt <tmus tmus dk> wrote:
> Jerone Young wrote:
> > It works fine for me. I have a Lenovo Thinkpad T61 and I am using
> > Ubuntu Gutsy (which has NM 0.65). I am using WPA 2 at home with my
> > Linksys WRTGL router. I have been using the drivers for some time and
> > Network manager has not had any issue working with them.
> > Here is the version of intel driver I am currently using
> >
> > iwplwifi: 0.1.5
> > iwlwifi-4965-ucode: 4.44.1.18
> > mac80211: 9.0.2
> >

> OK, so I narrowed it down a bit...
>
> un-hiding the AP solves the problem. I get a steady connection quickly,
> with ESSID broadcast enabled. No connection at all with ESSID bcast
> disabled.
>
> I've changed my network settings to be WPA2 AES/CCMP only.
>
> iwconfig/wpa_supplicant/dhclient manually works very well on hidden as
> well as visible setup.
>
> These are exempts from the messages log showing where the connection
> differences happen:
>
> good:
> Aug  5 22:20:43 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage
> 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
> Aug  5 22:20:45 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  nm-netlink-monitor.c -
> nm_netlink_monitor_event_handler (724) netlink reports device wlan0 link
> now 0
> Aug  5 22:20:45 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  nm-device.c -
> nm_device_set_active_link (596) device wlan0 link state set to 1
> Aug  5 22:20:45 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  Activation
> (wlan0/wireless) Stage 2 of 5 (Device Configure) successful.  Connected
> to access point 'mynet'.
> Aug  5 22:20:45 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage
> 3 of 5 (IP Configure Start) scheduled.
>
> bad:
> Aug  5 18:36:18 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) Stage
> 2 of 5 (Device Configure) complete.
> Aug  5 18:36:58 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  Activation
> (wlan0/wireless): association took too long (>40s), failing activation.
> Aug  5 18:36:58 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0)
> failure scheduled...
> Aug  5 18:36:58 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0)
> failed for access point (mynet)
> Aug  5 18:36:58 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  Activation (wlan0) failed.
> Aug  5 18:36:58 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  Deactivating device wlan0.
> Aug  5 18:36:59 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  nm-netlink-monitor.c -
> nm_netlink_monitor_event_handler (724) netlink reports device wlan0 link
> now 0
> Aug  5 18:37:06 whipher NetworkManager: <info>  nm-netlink-monitor.c -
> nm_netlink_monitor_event_handler (724) netlink reports device wlan0 link
> now 0
>

> Does this point in a certain direction for anyone?
>
> /Thomas

I have seen others post the same issues and they generally have
various levels of success by using wpa_supplicant with ap_scan=2 or 1.
  I forgot which one NM uses but you may have need to use the other to
connect to a hidden AP however changing that in NM and rebuilding the
package is probably too much of a hassle for the very little (if any)
benefit that not broadcasting your SSID gives you.   The network will
still be seen by anyone using any of the common wardriving tools and
hence won't cause them a bit of hassle.  Your best defense is WPA + a
strong key and not worry about broadcasting your SSID.