Re: Future plans?

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 18:26 -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Patrick Bogen writes:
>
> > On 4/26/07, Roberth Sjon�oberth sjonoy gmail com> wrote:
> >> Personally I would like to see better info when connecting to an
> >> wireless network, if I can't connect to the network, is it my computer's
> >> or the network's fault for example, the ability to change ip adresses
> >> for the network and the ability so see what networkcard i have.
> >
> > I second this; some feedback would be nice. I know NetworkManager
> > knows why it failed, but it'd be handy to see it communicated through
> > the applet.
>
> I'd like to see support for additional DHCP settings. For example, I have an
> ntp server, and I have dhcpd return an ntp-servers entry. Although it's
> possible that I messed something up, as far as I can tell NetworkManager
> does not do anything if it gets an ntp-servers property from the server.
> dhclient apparently does, but when I was poking in the code, it looked like
> NetworkManager sets dhclient to passthrough all parameters back to
> NetworkManager, and NetworkManager does not do anything with ntp-servers. At
> least that's how things are set up in Fedora's package. Similarly, if dhcpd
> gives the client its hostname and domainname, NetworkManager ignores it,
> instead of using sethostname() and setdomainname().

^^ this is partially because changing the hostname screws up Xauth
authentication, meaning you couldn't launch any new X11 apps.  Which is
really bad, and Xauth is stupid.  This is fixed in newer version of X or
in recent distros I _think_, but there's no way to detect it.  So it
will certainly not be the default.  But in 0.7 with the new config
framework there will definitely be an option to honor all the DHCP
settings that the server returns.

Dan