Re: Future plans?

Patrick Bogen writes:

On 4/26/07, Roberth Sjonøy <roberth sjonoy gmail com> wrote:
Personally I would like to see better info when connecting to an
wireless network, if I can't connect to the network, is it my computer's
or the network's fault for example, the ability to change ip adresses
for the network and the ability so see what networkcard i have.

I second this; some feedback would be nice. I know NetworkManager
knows why it failed, but it'd be handy to see it communicated through
the applet.

I'd like to see support for additional DHCP settings. For example, I have an ntp server, and I have dhcpd return an ntp-servers entry. Although it's possible that I messed something up, as far as I can tell NetworkManager does not do anything if it gets an ntp-servers property from the server. dhclient apparently does, but when I was poking in the code, it looked like NetworkManager sets dhclient to passthrough all parameters back to NetworkManager, and NetworkManager does not do anything with ntp-servers. At least that's how things are set up in Fedora's package. Similarly, if dhcpd gives the client its hostname and domainname, NetworkManager ignores it, instead of using sethostname() and setdomainname().

My only other pet peeve with a NetworkManager-based setup is having to enter another password after logging in, to unlock the keyring. It's completely pointless, and unneeded. A passphrase-protected keyring gives no value added whatsoever, that you cannot already have with a non-world readable passphrase file in your own account.

Someone once suggested pam_keyring. I gave it a try. I installed it. There was very little documentation in it to tell me how to set up the PAM config files for it. What was there, was outdated, and was no longer applicable to the modern PAM. Typical. Tried to improvise the PAM configuration, basing it on other PAM service configurations, made no difference. Still get prompted for the password, absolutely nothing in any log file I could find which would tell me why pam_keyring fails or does not work. After futzing around with it for an hour or so, completely clueless, I give up.