Re: connecting to a WPA secured wireless network often fails and takes a very long time

On 22/09/06, Darren Albers <dalbers gmail com> wrote:
On 9/22/06, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
> ipw3945 seems to still be somewhat flaky still, given recent reports.
>
> One other way to test this is to install Wireshark/Ethereal, and grab
> packets that come over the air to see if the the AP is actually sending
> out a DHCP reply.
>
> Dan

What is even more wierd is that the log shows that he is receiving a
DHCPOFFER, but it seems to be ignored...  Looking on bughost.org I see
some similar bug reports for older IPW2200 cards but not for the
IPW3945.

Ertugrul can you try bringing up the wireless connection without using
Network Manager by stopping networkmanager and then bringing the
interface up with wpasupplicant and ifup.

To do this create a wpa_supplicant.conf, here is an example assuming
you use wpa-tkip

Stop networkmanager
sudo /etc/dbus-1/event.d/25NetworkManager stop
Create the wpa_supplicant.conf:
sudo gedit /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
past in the following:
  ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
  ctrl_interface_group=0
  eapol_version=1
  ap_scan=2
  fast_reauth=1
  network={
        ssid="Enteryour SSID Here"
        proto=WPA
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=TKIP
        group=TKIP
        psk="mypskgoeshere"
  }

Then start wpa_supplicant with:
sudp wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dd

Then open another terminal window and bring up your interface:
sudo ifup eth1

Does that work reliably?

The reason I am asking you to go through all that is to try and narrow
down the issue and see why dhclient isn't reliably answering the dhcp
offer.

I've performed these instructions. The output of "sudo ifup eth1 " was: "Ignoring unknown interface eth1=eth1". Output of first terminal window and a "dmesg" output are also attached just in case you'd like to see them.

I am a beginner in Linux. I'd like to thank anyone who are trying to help.