Re: Write to network interfaces and wpa_supplicant?

On 9/19/06, Dan Williams <dcbw redhat com> wrote:
Out of curiosity, what needs this?  I'm interested to know; a config
tool of some sort?  Something that reports network status or
configuration?

I'm wanting to try a couple of virtualization packages (VMWare and
xen) which need to bridge the guest network interfaces to the host's.
It doesn't seem to work when using the NM applet.

Oh yeah, I should have specified that I was using the applet and not
the regular GUI because this is a WPA encrypted network.

Anyway, I happened to accidentally stumble across a page that in
wpa_supplicant, the driver that must be specified if you have a 2.6.14
kernel or newer, that you must specify the "wext" driver if you have
one of the ipw2100, ipw2200, ipw3945 Intel adaptors.  After making
that one small change, wpa_suppliant started working correctly.  I
really wish this little tidbit was a little more documented (esp. in
the man page).

Thanks for your help.  Much appreciated.