Write to network interfaces and wpa_supplicant?

I really do enjoy the fact that this "just works".  It's much easier
than having to configure everything by hand.

But I've run into a bit of a snag on one particular laptop.  Something
needs my wireless interface's config written to the usual
/etc/network/interfaces and the wpa configuration (for the default
wifi network in the office) written to the usual
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.  On this particular laptop, I can't seem to
be able to get this working correctly "the hard way" by writing out
the config to those 2 files.  Yet, I'm able to connect flawlessly via
the applet.

Is there any way to look at the configuration that NM is using once
it's connected to a network so that I might be able to write those 2
config files correctly?  Thanks.