Re: Write to network interfaces and wpa_supplicant?

On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 18:27 -0400, withayanda wrote:
> I really do enjoy the fact that this "just works".  It's much easier
> than having to configure everything by hand.
>
> But I've run into a bit of a snag on one particular laptop.  Something
> needs my wireless interface's config written to the usual
> /etc/network/interfaces and the wpa configuration (for the default
> wifi network in the office) written to the usual

Out of curiosity, what needs this?  I'm interested to know; a config
tool of some sort?  Something that reports network status or
configuration?

Anyway, NetworkManager doesn't write stuff out to text files.  If you
need this information, you can use NetworkManagerDispatcher to run a
script to pull the information out of NetworkManager via D-Bus and write
it to those files as you wish.  Using Python would be even easier.

The standard way to get information about your network is to use the
NetworkManager D-Bus interface, not text files.

> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf.  On this particular laptop, I can't seem to
> be able to get this working correctly "the hard way" by writing out
> the config to those 2 files.  Yet, I'm able to connect flawlessly via
> the applet.
>
> Is there any way to look at the configuration that NM is using once
> it's connected to a network so that I might be able to write those 2
> config files correctly?  Thanks.

Yup!  D-Bus :)  If you need pointers on the D-Bus interface or how to
talk to it via Python or something, just let me know and I'd be happy to
help.