Re: Flag the presence of the DBUS dict VPN interface

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 16:46 +0100, Antony J Mee wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 10:53 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 15:36 +0100, Antony J Mee wrote:
> > > Dan,
> > >
> > > While there is a change-over period... Could we have a #define to flag
> > > that the version of NetworkManager against which a plugin is compiled
> > > can use the new dict based interface?
> > >
> > > I have held back on committing the PPTP plugin changes for fear of it
> > > breaking for people.  If there was a flag in place I could keep both the
> > > old and the new code for now.
> >
> > On the 0.6.x branch or on HEAD too?
>
> If 0.6.x is dict capable then yes and plugins could take advantage of it
> if it is available in the installed NM.

My bad, it's not dict-capable and we don't want it to be unless we
really need to update the options which vpn daemons pass back to NM.

> > For HEAD/0.7 I'd like to remove the
> > non-dict-based interface altogether.  But I think this is fine on the
> > stable 0.6.x branch.
>
> I agree the non-dict should go, but all other plugins will need to be
> edited.   This just allows the plugins to make a smooth transition (so
> and old NM can be used with a newer plugin).  But may be it's a bad idea
> as it probably means plugins would need further edits later.
> For now I've got an --enable-nm-vpn-dbus-dict option in the PPTP plugin
> HEAD configure.in. Sorry for the noise.

Ok, now that I'm straightened out here.  If you want to add that to HEAD
for now, that's fine.  But it will certainly go away before release of
any 0.7 and definitely when the old API goes away.

dan