Re: NM doesn't recognize my connection!

Whoops, does it? Ignore me then.

If you can get it to see your wired connection, you'd know it was a
driver issue?

On 10/5/06, Jeff Schallenberg <schallenberg jeff gmail com> wrote:
Tim Hicks' version of /etc/network/interfaces directly contradicts the
advice in the wiki to comment out or delete everything but:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

So, I am one confused newbie :-(

As it is, I cannot connect wirelessly to any access point. I am writing this
on my laptop with eth0 connected directly to the LAN port of my WRT54g
router. My D-Link DWL-650+ seems not to be working anymore. So, my problems
go WAY beyon getting NM working - I have to get wireless networking working
the way it was before I started futzing around with Network Manager and the
interfaces file. I think I'll start a new thread. Thanks to all for your
attempts to help me!

- Jeff

On 10/4/06, Tim Hicks <tim se hicks gmail com> wrote:
> Don't totally remove them; NM won't see any interfaces to use.
>
> I'm using Ubuntu 6.06.1, my /etc/network/interfaces contains:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> auto eth1
> iface eth1 inet dhcp
>
> (eth1 being my wireless card) and NM sees both and works fine.
>

> -
> tim
>

> On 10/5/06, Jeff Schallenberg <schallenberg jeff gmail com > wrote:
> > OK, I can edit the /etc/network/interfaces file.
> >
> > It now contains only the lines:
> >
> > auto lo
> > iface lo inet loopback
> >
> > But this results in wlan0 and eth0 not being configured in Network
Settings.
> > So I can't connect to anything, either wired (eth0) or wireless (wlan0).
> >
> > And the NM icon still proclaims (rightly) "No Network Connection" and
> > displays the little red exclamation point.
> >
> > (If I enable the interfaces in Network Settings, that creates new
entries in
> > the /etc/network/interfaces file for eth0 and wlan0).
> >
> > Please help me get Network Manager working with my D-Link DWL-650+ and
> > Ubuntu 6.06!
> >
> > - Jeff

> > > What version of this driver, where did you get it from, and does it
> > > actually work with Wireless Extensions?  Is it the old acx driver or
the
> > > new softmac acx driver?  Is it from John Linville's wireless-2.6 git
> > > tree?
> > >
> > > Just to warn you that out-of-kernel drivers are usually dicey, and
they
> > > don't usually support Linux Wireless Extensions correctly.  But if the
> > > device & driver work with wpa_supplicant, they should work with
> > > NetworkManager.
> > >
> > > But first, lets see the answer to Darren's question.
> > >
> > > Dan

Is