Re: VPN plugin dependencies

On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 11:22 +0100, Helmut Schaa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Freitag, 24. November 2006 11:52 schrieb Jakob Petsovits:
> > how difficult would it be to remove the dependencies on libgnomeui, bonobo
> > and maybe gconf in the vpnc, openvpn and pptp plugins? The reason I'm
> > asking is that I'm using Kubuntu with KNetworkManager, and although the
> > NetworkManager core is desktop independent, the plugins (which are required
> > also for KNetworkManager's VPN support) pull in a big load of GNOME
> > libraries which I'd prefer not to install if they are not really necessary.
>
> At the moment this is not possible due to the fact that knetworkmanager uses
> the gnome dialogs provided by the VPN packages.
>
> I'm currently working on a VPN plugin infrastructure for knetworkmanager which
> makes it possible to have own (Qt-/KDE-)dialogs for knetworkmanager. That
> means that the gnome dialogs will no more be used by knetworkmanager (only as
> a fallback solution). The work is almost done and I will get in touch with
> the VPN upstream maintainers shortly.
>
> So watch the networkmanager and knetworkmanager list to get informed about the
> current status.

Note that in the VPN .name files in /etc/NetworkManager/VPN/, we
specifically made different sections for each particular DE:

[GNOME]
auth-dialog=/usr/libexec/nm-vpnc-auth-dialog
properties=/usr/lib/libnm-vpnc-properties

Feel free to define your own section for KDE and put whatever key/value
pairs the VPN bits in knetworkmanager require into that section.
NetworkManager does not read these sections, they are there for the VPN
connection UI bits to use.

Dan