VPN plugin dependencies

Hi list,

how difficult would it be to remove the dependencies on libgnomeui, bonobo and
maybe gconf in the vpnc, openvpn and pptp plugins? The reason I'm asking is
that I'm using Kubuntu with KNetworkManager, and although the NetworkManager
core is desktop independent, the plugins (which are required also for
KNetworkManager's VPN support) pull in a big load of GNOME libraries which
I'd prefer not to install if they are not really necessary.

Are the desktop dependencies mandated by NetworkManager's design, or just a
result of not investing much effort into that topic? (From what I read on the
NetworkManager website, it's at least supposed to be desktop independent, if
I get it right.) Would it be possible to factor out the GNOME dependencies
into nm-applet or is that less feasible?

Sorry for just asking from a user point of view, I am not familiar with
NetworkManager's code at the moment.

Thanks for taking your time to answer,
  Jakob