ipw2200 "create new network fails"

Hi!

First i'd like to welkome everybody, as I1m new to this list.

Second I'd like to state, that i'd like to fix my problem ;) but i'd
appreciate (and need) some help, as I don't know anything about DBUS
or GLIB, though I' wiling to learn (if I have time.)

So, about my problem:
I have a notebook (IBM TP r50e) with an ipw2200 (bg) wireless adapter.
I suppose it's fairly standard (heard about some incompatibility of
IBM machines wih non IBM adapters).

To set up a _new_ ad-hoc net, I have to do this:

iwconfig eth1 mode ad-hoc essid anything rate 11M channel 1
where channel is arbitrary, but needed, and rate is (as I have heard)
also needed to be standards complilant.
Issuing the above command and checking the result gives an output like this:

[root vosztok ~]# iwconfig eth1 mode ad-hoc essid anything rate 11M channel 1
[root vosztok ~]#  iwconfig eth1
eth1      IEEE 802.11g  ESSID:"anything"
         Mode:Ad-Hoc  Frequency:2.412 GHz  Cell: 02:16:6F:CE:5E:4F
         Bit Rate=11 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=8/0
         Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
         Encryption key:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality=67/100  Signal level=-60 dBm  Noise level=-85 dBm

[root vosztok ~]#

so the card is associated. Leavin the channel setting results in this:
[root vosztok ~]#  iwconfig eth1 mode managed
[root vosztok ~]# iwconfig eth1 mode ad-hoc essid anything rate 11M
[root vosztok ~]#  iwconfig eth1
eth1      unassociated  ESSID:"anything"
         Mode:Ad-Hoc  Channel=0  Cell: Not-Associated
         Bit Rate=0 kb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm   Sensitivity=8/0
         Retry limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
         Encryption key:off
         Power Management:off
         Link Quality:0  Signal level:0  Noise level:0

[root vosztok ~]#

So the card won't associate. This is also the case when selecting
Create new network in NM, sa NM doesn't set the channel. when ordering
NM to make a new ad-hoc net, and while NM-is waitng for the asociation
to happen, setting the channel manually NM allocates a link-local
adress, and everithing is fine...
until the first scan. reading the NM source I'v found that to scan,
the card switches back to managed, does a scan, and switches back. but
again, it won't happen.
unfortunately have never been able to try if the card associates to
an ad-hoc net, as this is the only wifi acpable machine I hqve, and my
friends have scrappy ndiswrapper only cards, where we don't know if
they should work at all...

The solution is to set he channel when creating a new ad-hoc cell.

I have some ideas how to do it, but not sure where to put them.

I have found the following functions in NM sources, I'd like to use to
solve the problem:
nm_ap_get_freq
nm_ap_set_freq
nm_ap_get_rate
nm_ap_set_rate

nm_device_get_driver
nm_device_get_frequency
nm_device_set_frequency
nm_device_get_bitrate
nm_device_set_bitrate

but having read the sources of :
nm_device_802_11_wireless_scan
it sould set the freq and raet back after scanning. maybe it can't
read them out corectly if im'm hacking them in the background with
iwconfig?

Anyway, the card doesn't associate, and I suspect the problem is in
nm_dbus_nm_create_wireless_network

and when setting up the "ap" at least the fre