Re: Connecton on APs with weak signal quality

On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 17:23 -0200, Aloisio wrote:
> On 11/6/06, Darren Albers <dalbers gmail com> wrote:
> > On 11/6/06, Aloisio <aloisiojr gmail com> wrote:
> > > Oooww
> > >
> > > Anybody know answers to some of these questions ??? I use nm is these
> > > conditions in most part of time...
> > >

> > Network Manager attempts to associate and if it fails to do so in the
> > timeout period it does not try again.  If the signal is so weak that
> > connecting is tough then it is doubtful that NM could keep the
> > connection up.   It might be an interesting feature request to create
> > a "Keep trying" option but I can't imagine it being of much use, if
> > you have such a problem connecting you will probably have a hard time
> > maintaining a connection.
>
> OK, this "keep trying" would simulate what wpasupplicant do... I think
> that maybe this could be a behaviour instead of a option. If it's not
> connect in anywhere and there are known SSID (and hidden SSID) in scan
> list, nm could keep trying to connect to preferred network... just a
> suggestion... Maybe not useful to most people, but...

However, if you're on the boundary of a network, then you'd keep
bouncing between connect and disconnect fairly often.  I'd agree that
this is something NM should try to do in the background, but it makes
for a miserable user experience in any case, because when you get
disconnected, all your TCP connections go poof.

Dan