Re: some question about wireless connection

On Sat, 2006-11-04 at 00:39 +0800, Dawei Pang wrote:
> hi,there
>    please help me to know what different between link quality and
> signal level, which one is measure of the signal better or not. I
> found some wireless device which used ndiswrapper  only supply signal
> level, not link quality.Could I use the signal level to measure the
> signal good or not?

Signal level is traditionally measured in dBm or RSSI and is just a
measure of the raw RF energy received by the radio.

Quality is more than just signal level.  It usually includes things like
transmission errors, decryption errors, collisions, and signal level.
This, in the Wireless Extensions spec, is recommended to be a value from
0 - 100%, representing a subjective level of the quality of the wireless
connection.

>    Another, how can I link to Ad-hoc by Networkmanager?

You can just choose the adhoc network; NM will connect to it and grab a
self-assigned IP address in the 169.xx.xx.xx range.  NM won't try DHCP
on that yet.

Dan