Re: nm-applet asks several times for keyring password

On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 16:49 -0400, Jon Nettleton wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 16:09 -0400, Dan Williams wrote:
> > On Tue, 2006-05-30 at 09:31 +0200, R� Cardona wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > >  From time to time, nm-applet will ask for the keyring password two or
> > > three times at the same time, popping two or three dialogs. Usually I
> > > pick the first one of these dialogs  to enter my password and then
> > > everything works as usual.
> > >
> > > Is this a bug in nm-applet or in the keyring ? Has anyone else noticed this?
> > >
> > > I'm using gnome-2.14 on gentoo.
> >
> > This is fixed in CVS, both HEAD and STABLE.  I've pushed a CVS snapshot
> > to Fedora Core rawhide, other distributors will do as they wish.
>
> Was the fix a work a round for the way gnome-keyring was behaving, or an
> actual problem with the way the NetworkManager code was using
> libgnome-keyring?  I am curious because if it is something that can be
> cleaned up in gnome-keyring I would like to fix it asap.

In this specific case, it was NetworkManager not doing the right thing
and making multiple requests to the applet for passwords.  The applet
was dutifully popping up the dialog for each request.

Requests should probably be serialized, or at least locked, such that
once the dialog is up, all other keychain async requests block.  When
the password is entered correctly, then all the rest of the requests
then get processed.  So, only the first pending async request actually
gets to put up a dialog, the rest get blocked.

(as an aside, that wouldn't have helped NM in this case, but it would
have stopped the applet from popping up 3 keyring dialogs all at the
same time)

Dan