Re: Dynamic WEP support.

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 10:41 -0500, Robert Love wrote:

> Right, but passphrases can be either of those things.

So if you just want to differentiate between Hex and ASCII, I suppose
that is possible, since Hex keys are 13 or 26 hex characters and ASCII
keys are 5 or 10 ASCII characters.  All four of those, however, are
valid passphrases and thus we only solve hex and ASCII.

So this has two problems:

	- Most users use passphrases, so this complexity does not
	  buy us a utopia.  We basically reduce "passphrase, ASCII,
	  or Hex" down to "passphrase or Hex/ASCII".

	- A partial hex key is a valid ASCII key, so your validation
	  function will think that the 64-bit hex key "AAAAAAAAAA"
	  is valid ASCII halfway through typing it and, say, make the
	  OK button active.  Confusing.

Being explicit is the way to go.  It is not so hard for users to select
the correct type, particularly if most users want passphrase and we
default to that.

	Robert Love