Re: Dynamic WEP support.

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 10:15 -0500, Pat Suwalski wrote:
> Robert Love wrote:
> > This won't fly.
> >
> > As just one example, my passphrase at home is a legitimate hex key (I
> > am, yes, an idiot).  Differentiating between ASCII and passphrase is
> > even harder.  We need to ask.
>
> I've seen this in an implementation. It works beautifully.
>
> Basically:
>
> 	WEP key: 26 characters, [A-F]|[a-f]|[0-9]
> 	String: < 26 characters, no restrictions.

Passphrases can be any length, up to 64 characters.  That includes
exactly 26 characters, and since the hex key character space is a subset
of the passphrase character space, there's absolutely no way to
differentiate between the two automatically.  Maybe we can do some smart
heuristics, such that if it's exactly 26 characters and all hex, then
_likely_ it's a hex key, but I think we're more likely to get it wrong
and confuse users this way, rather than just asking.