Re: 802.1x + WEP

On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 09:48 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> > I read the config once again later and said that to myself too :-) Our
> > admins at work told me it's WEP/TLS. And n-m offers me only WEP when I
> > connect to our wifi network. I need to use "Connect to other wireless
> > network" to be able to set WPA.
>
> It is WEP/TLS (or WEP/TTLS).  I think how it works is that you
> authenticate using WPA TTLS and that gets you a key, which you then use
> for WEP.  This provides some additional security without requiring
> WPA-capable hardware.
>
> But I still don't see what in this file says "do WEP".  We can almost
> generate this exact configuration now...

If I understand well, you mean "how does wpa_supplicant know it is WEP
from this config file?".

This config file is from our "Wifi howto for Linux". Other instructions
from this howto are:

 - modify /etc/modprobe.conf (it's for ipw2200)
# this suits for ipw2200
alias eth1 ipw2200
options eth1 hwcrypto=0 led=1 debug=0x43fff
options ipw2200 hwcrypto=0 led=1 debug=0x43fff

 - test it

  * /sbin/ip link set eth1 up
      * /sbin/iwconfig eth1 essid SYSTINET mode managed key open
      * /usr/local/sbin/wpa_supplicant -Dwext -ieth1
        -c /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf -dddd
      * in the second terminal run dhclient eth1
      * you should get an IP address
      * that's all

Do you need any other info?

Regards,

Jan "Pogo" Mynarik

--
Jan Mynarik <mynarikj phoenix inf upol cz>