Re: 802.1x + WEP

On di, 2006-03-21 at 10:21 -0500, Robert Love wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-03-21 at 16:15 +0100, Dennis Kaarsemaker wrote:
>
> > Nothing says 'use wep' specifically. My interpretation of the output of
> > NM was that NM specified 'must use WPA' where WEP only would be enough.
> > If you want more lines of output, I can give it tomorrow (not at the
> > office today).
>
> It doesn't work like that.  Somehow wpa_supplicant must be explicitly
> told to use WEP with some specific key (presumably obtained via WPA
> TTLS).
>
> It must be there somewhere.  Or perhaps the WPA authentication somehow
> forces it.  But NM can generate a config very similar to this, and if it
> does not work, your config must be doing something different.

Sorry for taking it off-list, hit reply-to-sender instead of -to-list.

Anyway,

Yes, the key is indeed obtained via TTLS. I was wrong first, the
key_mgmt setting determines 802.1x with dynamic wep keys. According to
the example config:

# key_mgmt: list of accepted authenticated key management protocols
# WPA-PSK = WPA pre-shared key (this requires 'psk' field)
# WPA-EAP = WPA using EAP authentication (this can use an external
#   program, e.g., Xsupplicant, for IEEE 802.1X EAP Authentication
# IEEE8021X = IEEE 802.1X using EAP authentication and (optionally) dynamically
#   generated WEP keys
# NONE = WPA is not used; plaintext or static WEP could be used
# If not set, this defaults to: WPA-PSK WPA-EAP

if key_mgmt is not set, then IEEEE802.1x isn't an option for
wpa_supplicant apparently.
--
Dennis K.
 - Linux for human beings - http://www.ubuntu.com